Woodland West Branch Library
Southwest Branch Library
Southeast Branch Library
Closed Until Further Notice
Northeast Branch Library
Lake Arlington Branch Library
East Arlington Branch Library
George W. Hawkes Downtown Library
Closed Until Further Notice
Library on Topic: Valentine's Day
Item request has been placed! ×
Item request cannot be made. ×
The season of love and chocolate is here! Valentine’s Day originated from the Roman festival of Lupercalia, which celebrated the coming of spring. The name was changed in the 5th century from Lupercalia to St. Valentine’s Day. Some theories suggest that this occurred after emperor Claudius II Gothicus martyred two Christian priests named Valentine. The holiday became associated with love after one of the supposed priests went against the emperor’s orders and married couples so that men could avoid fighting in wars.
Though we are far from Lupercalia and martyrs Valentine’s Day continues being a huge event in our culture. Celebrating love has become a huge industry. The flower, restaurant, candy and greeting card industries make huge profits during this time, with this year's sales expected to reach $27.4 billion in just the United States alone. This is a $6.7 billion increase from 2019.
While you can buy chocolates and flowers, we also encourage everyone to visit their nearest library locations. Pick up some of the most beautiful love stories ever written and seen on film for FREE. We invite you to create memories with those you love by reading and watching, but most importantly by spending time together.
- When Harry Met Sally
- “Harry and Sally meet when she gives him a ride to New York after they both graduate from the University of Chicago. The film jumps through their lives as they both search for love, but fail, bumping into each other time and time again. Finally, a close friendship blooms between them.” - IMDB
- Sleepless in Seattle
- After hearing a man confess his love for his dearly departed wife on a call-in radio show, a woman falls deeply, inexplicably in love with him. Deciding he is her destiny, she treks across the country on a wildly romantic impulse to meet him.
- A Star is Born
- Seasoned musician Jackson Maine discovers-and falls in love with-struggling artist Ally. She has given up on her dream to become a successful singer until she meets Jack, who immediately sees her natural talent. This is the raw and passionate tale of Jack and Ally, two artistic souls coming together, on stage and in life. Theirs is a complex journey through the beauty and the heartbreak of a relationship struggling to survive.
- If Beale Street Could Talk
- This timeless love story set in early 1970s Harlem involves newly engaged nineteen-year-old Tish and her fiancé Fonny who have a beautiful future ahead. But their plans are derailed when Fonny is arrested for a crime he did not commit. Now the pair and their families must fight for justice in the name of love and the promise of the American dream.
- One Day
- After one day together, their college graduation, Emma Morley and Dexter Mayhew begin a friendship that lasts a lifetime. She's a working-class girl who dreams of making the world a better place. He's a wealthy charmer who thinks the world is his playground. Somewhere over the next two decades, these two very different people realize that the love they've been hoping for has been there for them all along.
- Pride and Prejudice
- In late eighteenth-century England, a spirited young Elizabeth Bennet copes with the romantic entanglements of her sisters, and her feelings for wealthy, brooding, and seemingly over-proud Mr. Darcy. - (Baker & Taylor)
- Llama Llama I Love You
- "Little llama shows his friends and family how much he loves them with heart-shaped cards and lots of hugs. What could be sweeter than Llama Llama on Valentine's Day?"--Provided by publisher.
- Love from the Very Hungry Caterpillar
- You are the cherry on my cake; you make the sunshine brighter; you make my heart flutter. Using a range of images from the World of Eric Carle, and featuring the Very Hungry Caterpillar, this special gift book gives all the reasons why someone special makes the world a better and brighter place. Perfect for that someone special on Valentine's Day or any day.
- Happy Valentine’s Day, Mouse!
- As Mouse makes valentines for all his friends, he reflects on what he likes best about each of them. - (Baker & Taylor)
- "This book depicts the many ways we experience this universal bond, which carries us from the day we are born throughout the years of our childhood and beyond" -Amazon.com.
- Dear Girl
- Encourages readers to accept and love themselves as they are and advise them to be confident, curious, adaptable, and willing to speak up.
- Love, Mama
- With a heartwarming story and tender illustrations, Jeanette Bradley's debut picture book is perfect for Valentine's Day, Mother's Day, and any day when a child needs a reminder of the strength of a mother's love.
- Hurtled back through time more than two hundred years to Scotland in 1743, Claire Randall finds herself caught in the midst of an unfamiliar world torn apart by violence, pestilence, and revolution and haunted by her growing feelings for James Fraser, a young soldier. - (Baker & Taylor)
- Gone With The Wind
- The story of the tempestuous romance between Rhett Butler and Scarlet O'Hara is set amid the drama of the Civil War. - (Baker & Taylor)
- Pride and Prejudice
- Story of a gradual union of one held back by unconquerable pride and the other blinded by prejudice.
- A mild-mannered scientist with a hidden sense of humor struggles to repair his marriage and his relationship with his teen son during a month-long European tour. - (Baker & Taylor)
- The Kiss Quotient
- A 30-year-old math whiz with Asperger's tries to make her love life as rich as her career by hiring an escort to help her with her lack of knowledge and experience in the dating department. - (Baker & Taylor)
- Ayesha at Last
- A modern Muslim adaptation of Pride and Prejudice finds a reluctant teacher who would avoid an arranged marriage setting aside her literary ambitions before falling in love with her perpetually single cousin's infuriatingly conservative fiancé. Original. - (Baker & Taylor)
- The Bride Test
- As a mixed-race girl living in the slums of Ho Chi Minh City, Esme Tran has always felt out of place. When the opportunity arises to come to America and meet a potential husband, she can't turn it down, thinking this could be the break her family needs. Seducing Khai, however, doesn't go as planned. She's hopelessly smitten with a man who's convinced he can never return her affection.
- The Rosie Project
- A socially awkward genetics professor who has never been on a second date sets out to find the perfect wife but instead finds Rosie Jarman, a fiercely independent barmaid who is on a quest to find her biological father.